The professional fly fishing instructor will accompany you during all the tour.
It means that you will have the opportunity to learn how to cast the fishing rod and catch your first fish by fly fishing.
- The most important advantage of this trip is fishing high in the mountains, against the backdrop of glaciers, with addition of exotica of the amazing country with the opportunity to catch a true trophy. In the company of like-minded people, impressions of nature, fishing, history and culture of Mongolia will make your feelings and emotions unforgettable.
- Time in Mongolia seems to have stopped. Since the time of Genghis Khan the nomad lifestyle has changed very little. There are the same yurts and the same wide open spaces. As usual people don’t hurry anywhere. Of course, there are cellular communications and satellite dishes next to the yurts, and traditional clothing has been replaced by practical Chinese things. But the most important thing is that the spirit of the wide open spaces and primary nature remains as before.
- Our trip takes place in the basin of the stream Hobdo Gol. This is a unique stream system. It is one of the largest streams in Mongolia and the most interesting thing is that it is closed. This stream system ends with the inflow into Khar-Us-Nuur lake, and then into the salty Khyargas Nuur lake. This stream system is not connected with the ocean or seas.
- The goal of our tour is to catch two fish species: the Altai Osman and, of course, the Mongolian Grayling. The Potanin Altai Osman (Oreoleuciscus potanini) is a species of ray-finned fish of the Altai Osman (Oreoleuciscus) of the cyprinoid fishes. Osmans can weigh up to 5-6 kg. They are quite aggressive predators. Eating qualities are no great things. The jewel in the crown is their rarity. A real fisherman is always pleased to record a new and rare species in his trophy box. Mongolia is just the right place for almost ensured capture of this exotic fish. Attention! If you are promised to catch goldilocks or taimen, you should know that they are uncommon fish of Western Mongolia! The Khovd stream system is closed, it is not connected with other large rivers, ending in the desert, so the species composition of fish is limited here. Therefore, these fish can be of considerable dimensions!
- It is enough to say about the local grayling that Western Mongolia is the habitat of the largest grayling on the planet.
- The Mongolian grayling is a prominent predator. Large species have teeth almost like a pike does. The most interesting thing is that sometimes these large predators start taking a small dry fly from the surface.
- The sharpest impression of fishing, is, of course, one of fly fishing. For those who want to learn this type of fishing, we will provide an express training. We will help you with flies and teach to tie them.
- Spinning is very successful in Mongolia. Especially the ultralight tackle with small current meters number 3-4.
- The trip is specially intended for fishermen. We will spend more time in the best areas, but we also will change fishing grounds and conditions regularly.
- An autonomous steam bath is available, too. It is a special pleasure to warm up and then be soused over head and ears in cold water of an icy mountain river.
|START AND FINISH POINT||Khovd Airport or Bayan Ulgii Airport|
|START TIME||Upon arrival of the tour participants.|
|RETURN TIME||Arriving to the city of departure late in the evening of the last day. We will help you to book a hotel. Departure should be planned for the morning of the next day.|
|CLOTHES||You will need a warm wind-resistant jacket, a cap, track wind-resistant pants, trekking shoes, trainers or slides for moving around the camp, summer clothes, sunscreen, fishing equipment (clamdiggers, staff and glasses are necessary), all the rest at your pleasure|
|INCLUDED||Meeting at the airport, the entire transfer along the route, accommodation during the tour, full meals, guide escort, all fees and payments, tents (in those places where we will spend the night), carpets, sleeping bags (if you don’t have your own one).|
|NOT INCLUDED||flight, alcohol.|
The main advantages of this tour:
- Tour intended specifically for fishing.
- Personal experience of fly fishing in Mongolia for over 10 years!
- A comfortable small group of 6 people.
- A very varied program. In addition to fishing, there are beautiful areas and Mongolian exotica.
- Constantly moving to new places. In the best ones we will stay for a few days.
- A cook.
- An autonomous steam bath.
- You do not have to pay extra. There are no hidden surcharges.
- We’ll meet you at the airport and take you back to the airport.
- You can see all the photos and videos made by us on our website, – we know Mongolia and Altai perfectly.
Then the price:
2500$ 2250 $
- Day. We meet the group at the Khovd or Ulgii airport. There is a daily flight from Ulaanbaatar to Khovd. There are no daily flights to Ulgii, but the location is more convenient for the next transfer. Therefore, it is necessary to coordinate the purchase of tickets with the organizers. The distance from Khovd to Ulgii amounts to 220 km, there is a sealed road, we will go by minibus. In Ulgii we will change to off-road cars and drive till the place. By the way we can enjoy typical Mongolian landscapes: severe highlands, completely greenless. In Ulgii, we will obtain our entry permits for the border zone and national parks. There we’ll change money from exchanger and do some shopping. We will also visit the local colorful market. Then we’ll move towards Hoton Nuur Lake. In the evening, if we have enough time before nightfall we will go fishing for the first time in Mongolia. There are a lot of osmans in the lake, and in the branch between two lakes there are a lot of graylings. It is a branch where we are going to set up our camp. But first we should check in at the frontier post, because China is just a short distance away. The frontier follows the Mongolian Altai Ridge.
- Day. Khoton Nuur Lake is at an altitude of 2083m. The lake is connected with lake Khurgan Nuur Lake by the Syrgaal branch. The peaks of the ridge near the lake are more than 3500m high. Of course, they are snow white because of the snow and ice. This view of the snowy peaks adds color to this already beautiful place. We will have breakfast and go fishing more quickly. On this day we will explore the branch. It is wide, but there are some places where you can cross it. This is the place which large species inhabit. Grayling prefers to stay in various holes or behind large stones, next to the stream. Most of the places are well read, but, as has always been the case, there are secret not-so-obvious areas. We will be divided into two groups, which will go fishing in different places, and after lunch they will change. We will have lunch in the camp at a pre-scheduled time. Then we will have a rest and after lunch we will go into action again! In the evening we will discuss the first results at a new place, share excellent fishing lures and make plans for tomorrow.
- Day. On this day we will make a trip to the river Dzagast-Gol, approximately 20km away. The word “Dzagast” comes from the Mongolian and means “fish”. You must admit that it is a promising name. The river flows into the lake as a wide delta, breaking into a lot of branches. Slowly flowing water. Absolutely transparent, with good depth and filamentous algae, wriggly in the flow. In the background there are snow peaks over 3000m high, and on the other side there is a wide emerald-green lake. This atmosphere is created for unhasting and pleasant fishing. In this place, the grayling is a bit smaller, but the kilogram specimen are quite common, and taking into account a very beautiful place, the fishing will be very memorable. If we step aside from the river, in the lake itself it is also possible to fish and here, in addition to grayling, you will be able to catch the osman. After plenty of walking along the branches of this river, we will come back to the camp. After lunch we will have enough time for night fishing. In the evening we will have a steam bath, then we will have dinner and draw conclusions. After that we will reward a person who would have caught the largest fish.
- Day. We will spend the whole day in the area of the branch, the lake and its surroundings. We will go fishing, have a rest and take photos. In the afternoon, those who wish, can join fly fishing, because our guide is a fly fishing instructor. After some training in casting, we will go to the river where you can catch your first fish by fly fishing. We will venture out to the lower part of the branch, it is much wider, but smaller. Fishermen rarely come here, but on these shallows there are decent holes filled with the excellent grayling! Depending on the results, we can move further along our route this day, but only by agreement with the group. In the evening we can have a steam bath as an option.
- Day. On this day, we will move to Dayan-Nuur Lake, which is about 80 km away. The trip will take 5-6 hours. It is a typical Mongolian road with small bumps in the form of a washboard. Surrounding landscapes compensate for these inconveniences. On the way, we will stop over to experience fisherman’s happiness in two new places. The first one is Khurgan Nuur Lake, where the osmans are lying on the edges in the slack water in wait for us. If you find a good slope with grass, you can catch monsters weighing up to 5-6 kg. But the usual sizes are 1.5 – 3 kg. A by-caught grayling will be quite small. Down the road there is a running out from Khurgan Nuur Lake. Such places are always very promising. Slowly gathering speed, slack water falls into the river, picks up speed and the grayling loves these places very much. Furthermore, fishermen rarely come here. Further through the pass and the dead lake Khara-Nuur, we drop down into the valley of the Godon river, flowing out of Dayan-Nuur Lake. The lake is located at an altitude of 2232 meters above sea level. It is large enough, but not deep. Several streams flow into the lake. We will put up in the mouth of one of these streams. Not far away in the background, there is a ridge, the snow-white Under-Khairkhan-Uul with the highest peak of 3914m. There is a border with China along the ridge peaks. Here we are going to set up our camp and go fishing. Usually a large grayling starts to enter the mouth of the river from the lake in the afternoon. Part of the fish lives in the river, but the main population migrates from the lake to the river and back. In the evening we will discuss our first catches, share experiences and excellent lures. We will also have a stream bath.
- Day. The whole day will be devoted to fishing in the surrounding areas of Dayan Nuur. With a lunch break, obviously.
- Day. The whole day will be devoted to fishing in the surrounding areas of Dayan Nuur.
- Day. Slowly we are thinking of going. Transfer to the airport, on the already familiar road for 7-9 hours. We say goodbye to this wonderful place. On the way, we will stop at the viewing point to take some photos.
Surely you need something to clarify? Ask the manager!
How to get to the starting point of the tour? You must fly to Ulan Bator – the capital of Mongolia. From Ulaanbaatar to Bayan-Ulgiya fly daily two airline companies: http://www.hunnuair.com/ and https://www.aeromongolia.mn/ENG. In any case, you need to coordinate with us the time of arrival, departure, purchase of tickets, etc. Our managers will help you with the purchase of tickets.
Time in Mongolia seems to have stopped. Since the time of Genghis Khan the nomad lifestyle has changed very little. There are the same yurts, the same wide open spaces. As usual people don’t hurry anywhere. Of course, there are cellular communications and satellite dishes next to the yurts, and traditional clothing has been replaced by practical Chinese things. But the most important thing is that the spirit of the wide open spaces and primary nature remains as before.
Our trip takes place in the basin of the stream Hobdo Gol. This is a unique stream system. It is one of the largest streams in Mongolia and the most interesting thing is that it is closed. This stream system ends with the inflow into Khar-Us-Nuur lake, and then into the salty Khyargas Nuur lake. This stream system is not connected with the ocean or seas. This explains special aspects of local fishing.
The goal of our tour is to catch two fish species: the Altai Osman and, of course, the Mongolian Grayling. The Potanin Altai Osman (Oreoleuciscus potanini) is a species of ray-finned fish of the Altai Osman (Oreoleuciscus) of the cyprinoid fishes. Osmans can weigh up to 5-6 kg. They are quite aggressive predators.
Eating qualities are no great things. The jewel in the crown is their rarity. A real fisherman is always pleased to record a new and rare species in his trophy box. Mongolia is just the right place for almost ensured capture of this exotic fish.
It is enough to say about the local grayling that Western Mongolia is the habitat of the largest grayling on the planet. In my office I have a dry head of the grayling, which was presented to me by my Mongolian friend. It was the largest fish in his life. The length of the grayling was 85 cm. Eighty-five! This is a weight of about 5 kg! The weight of the grayling amounted to 5 kg! It is unlikely that during our trip we would catch such a thing. But the fact of the presence of such species in the water increases our chances of catching trophy specimens.
The Mongolian grayling is a prominent predator. Large species have teeth almost like a pike does. The most interesting thing is that sometimes these large predators start taking a small dry fly from the surface.
The most important advantage of this trip is fishing high in the mountains, against the backdrop of glaciers, with addition of exotica of the amazing country with the opportunity to catch a true trophy. In the company of like-minded people, impressions of nature, fishing, history and culture of Mongolia will make your feelings and emotions unforgettable.
Tackle selection. Crystal-clear mountain rivers, alpine meadows, snowy peaks – all of this, of course invites you to fly fishing. A good choice would be a 4-5 class rod. The cord should be selected with account of the possible strong wind. Long castings are usually not necessary. Most of all, it’s fishing with streamers, the depth in the area is about 0.5-1 meters, so sinking tips will be required. In the flow it is desirable to have a landing net. In some places, a staff is necessary.
Flies – the usual set of dry flies for catching grayling, you don’t need to reduce them in size. Ent nymphs of generous size. Most of all, streamers with the length of 5 cm are necessary. Ordinary perch streamers will be ok. Salmon flies also function. In Mongolia, the grayling is a very active predator and is usually not very fussy about lures.
Osman is also not fussy, but it usually lives on the edges with a depth of 2-3 meters, so you need sinking cords or quickly sinking tips. You can use streamers of a bigger size than for grayling, but I will repeat myself – the main thing is not the lure, but the fact that the fish could see it.
For spinners, I would recommend ultralight tackle. According to the lure for grayling, various current meters up to no. 3 have proved themselves to be suitable for this fishing technique. Because of stones, the blade of the plugs often comes off. For catching osman the main thing is the line horizon, the lure is besides the point. A Tyrolean stick will collect all the little fish in the river. To be noted that it is the little fish by Mongolian standards.
For those who want to learn fly fishing, I will provide an express training and tackle. If you want to buy your kit, I am here to help you, give advice as well as arrange discounts. Of course, in this case, you should notify me in advance.
Something about the tour.
The tour starts with Bayan-Ulgia – the capital of Western Mongolia. Here at the airport we meet you. In Mongolia, we move on UAZ or TOYOTA. In total, we will pass about 600 km through the territory of Mongolia. The cost of the tour includes meal expenses (except alcohol). While driving we will have lunch in a cafe (included in the price). We will be accompanied by the cook responsible for cooking for us. In Mongolia, along the way, sneaks will be provided (hot tea, sandwiches, etc.). At all other times we will enjoy a full breakfast, lunch and dinner.
If you want to learn fly fishing or improve your skills, I will provide an appropriate crash course. I promise you that you will be able to catch a fish. In the evenings gatherings and workshops on flies for fly fishing will be provided, too.
We will pass by a lot of beautiful places, I recommend you to take your camera or camcorder.
In Mongolia, they make high-quality items from camel wool. We will spend some time going
shopping in Bayan Ulgii.